Have low mortgage rates set the stage for inflation?
In recent years, the Federal Reserve Board's monetary policy has been focused on maintaining historically low mortgage rates to support the housing market through the recession. However, the lengthy period of low long-term interest rates has some concerned that inflation looms just around the corner.
To get a better understanding of whether consumers should be concerned that a prolonged period of record-low mortgage rates will lead to inflation, we interviewed Farrokh Hormozi, economics professor at Pace University, and Ray Hill, an economics and finance professor at Emory University.
A: Fear of inflationary effect from monetary policy such as we've seen from the Federal Reserve Board in recent years is not new. More than four years ago, people expressed concern that the “easy-money policy” of the Fed, particularly the quantitative-easing policy (QE), would lead to inflation - and rightly so, except for one thing. The underlying foundation of this effect is based on the simple, erroneous assumption that easy money generates excess demand feeding inflationary pressure.
This is elementary economics; however, there are two problems with this assumption:First: The argument may be - or in fact is - valid in a closed economy, but not for the economy of the United States. In a closed economy, a limited-supply condition cannot support the excess demand generated by injecting additional money into the closed economy, thereby triggering inflationary pressure. But the American economy is not a closed economy, and the experience of the past quarter century supports that argument.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV
- The 8 States Most Likely to Legalize Marijuana Next
- Behind Russia's Current Crisis: It's Not the Ruble, It's Putin
- Would you invest in the U.S. Postal Service?
- Why Jim Cramer Says it Could be Too Late to Enter the Stock Market Rally Now
- Apple (AAPL) Stock Declining Today Amid Allegations of Poor Working Conditions in China
Rates from Bankrate.com
- Credit Cards