NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Newpark Resources (NR) shares are up 6.6% to $12.37 following the release of the company's first quarter earnings results.
The diversified oil and gas producer reported revenues of $242.8 million, a 9.4% year over year quarterly decrease.
Net income for the quarter was $35 million, or 36 cents per diluted share, beating analysts estimates of 16 cents per share. The net income tally included $22 million, or 22 cents per diluted share, from the sale of the company's environmental services business.
"Looking forward, with the sale of our environmental services business now complete, we believe we are well positioned to capitalize on growth opportunities in both our global drilling fluids markets and our mats markets and enhance shareholder value," said CEO Paul Howes.
Must Read: Warren Buffett's 10 Favorite Growth Stocks
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV