NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Shares of Canadian Oil Sands (COSWF) are down -4.44% to $20.88 on Friday after the oil-sands company announced unplanned maintenance work at the Syncrude Coker 8-1 mine, near Fort McMurry in Alberta, Canada, which caused the company to lower its estimated 2014 Syncrude production to 95 million-105 million barrels from 95 million-110 million.
The company said it will lower its guidance for 2014 when it releases its first quarter results on April 30.
As a result of the unplanned maintenance, National Bank of Canada downgraded the company's rating to "underperform" from "sector perform."
The firm believes the company will be hit "especially hard" during second quarter production because the unplanned outage at Coker 8-1 coincides with the scheduled maintenance of another upgrader.Must Read: Warren Buffett's 10 Favorite Growth Stocks SELL NOW: If you own any of the 900 stocks that TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified as a 'Sell'...you could potentially lose EVERYTHING in the next 6-12 months. Learn more COSWF data by YCharts
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet's Stocks Under $10 has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12-months. Learn more.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV