The solar cell maker reported earnings of 49 cents a share for the first quarter, beating analysts' estimates of 32 cents a share by 17 cents. Revenue increased 19% year-over-year to $683.7 million. Analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters expected revenue of $669.37 million.
In its guidance for the second quarter SunPower said it expects earnings of between 15 cents and 35 cents and revenue of $575 million to $625 million in the upcoming quarter. Analysts expect earnings of 30 cents a share and revenue of 628.3 million.
Looking to the full-year 2014 SunPower expects earnings of $1.10 to $1.40 a share and revenue of $2.5 billion to $2.65 billion. Analysts expect earnings of $1.21 a share and $2.55 billion in revenue for the year.Must read: Warren Buffett's 10 Favorite Growth Stocks SELL NOW: If you own any of the 900 stocks that TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified as a 'Sell'...you could potentially lose EVERYTHING in the next 6-12 months. Learn more. TheStreet Ratings team rates SUNPOWER CORP as a Hold with a ratings score of C. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation: "We rate SUNPOWER CORP (SPWR) a HOLD. The primary factors that have impacted our rating are mixed -- some indicating strength, some showing weaknesses, with little evidence to justify the expectation of either a positive or negative performance for this stock relative to most other stocks. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its impressive record of earnings per share growth, compelling growth in net income and largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including weak operating cash flow and poor profit margins." Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- SUNPOWER CORP reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. We feel that this trend should continue. This trend suggests that the performance of the business is improving. During the past fiscal year, SUNPOWER CORP turned its bottom line around by earning $0.57 versus -$3.01 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($1.20 versus $0.57).
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Semiconductors & Semiconductor Equipment industry. The net income increased by 115.4% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from -$144.77 million to $22.34 million.
- SPWR, with its decline in revenue, slightly underperformed the industry average of 1.5%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly dropped by 6.0%. The declining revenue has not hurt the company's bottom line, with increasing earnings per share.
- The gross profit margin for SUNPOWER CORP is rather low; currently it is at 24.40%. Despite the low profit margin, it has increased significantly from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, SPWR's net profit margin of 3.50% is significantly lower than the industry average.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly decreased to $32.88 million or 86.40% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing the cash generation rate to the industry average, the firm's growth is significantly lower.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: SPWR Ratings Report
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts