The company's first quarter adjusted EPS was 71 cents, up 4.4%, and higher than the previous guidance range of 67 cents to 69 cents. GAAP EPS was 61 cents.
First quarter revenue was $4.563 billion, a 5.4% increase over the 2013 first quarter, and up 6.7% on an operational basis.
Revenue growth reflected a 17.5% global reported sales growth from Humira, and double digit growth from other of its main products.AbbVie confirmed its 2014 adjusted EPS guidance range of $3.00 to $3.10. The GAAP EPPS range is $2.63 to $2.73. Must Read: Warren Buffett's 10 Favorite Growth Stocks
- Compared to other companies in the Pharmaceuticals industry and the overall market, ABBVIE INC's return on equity significantly exceeds that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- Net operating cash flow has improved to $1,245.00 million from having none in the same quarter last year. Since the company had no net operating cash flow for the prior period, we cannot calculate a percent change in order to compare its growth rate with that of its industry average.
- Compared to where it was a year ago today, the stock is now trading at a higher level, regardless of the company's weak earnings results. Looking ahead, our view is that this company's fundamentals will not have much impact in either direction, allowing the stock to generally move up or down based on the push and pull of the broad market.
- The debt-to-equity ratio is very high at 3.28 and currently higher than the industry average, implying increased risk associated with the management of debt levels within the company. Regardless of the company's weak debt-to-equity ratio, ABBV has managed to keep a strong quick ratio of 2.14, which demonstrates the ability to cover short-term cash needs.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Pharmaceuticals industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 26.7% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $1,539.64 million to $1,128.00 million.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: ABBV Ratings Report
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV