Mainstream and Country Join Hands, Sing 'God Bless America'
Country has drifted a little more mainstream with its laid-back, all-purpose persona, but the mainstream has drifted Nashville's way as well. While it doesn't help to have certain wide receivers showing up to shows in Philadelphia and dropping N-bombs, country music is creating the inclusive, middle-of-the-road environment that country rockers like Linda Rondstadt, The Eagles, The Band, Creedence Clearwater Revival and even the Grateful Dead used to inhabit generations ago. It may have spawned punk and disco as folks tired of the homogeny, but hip-hop and electronic dance music exist as similar counterweights today.
There is always going to be a need for a soft, doughy, non-sugary middle in U.S. music. Country still has some of its rougher edges, but those huge Chesney and Aldean audiences are flocking to shows for their big-party inclusiveness, not for backwards division. If Taylor Swift can still be considered "country" in some circles after sharing a stage with Carly Simon, Tegan and Sara, Jennifer Lopez, Ellie Goulding, Nelly, Sara Bareilles, B.o.B, and train -- and counting Alicia Keys, Kesha, Katy Perry, Bikini Kill's Kathleen Hanna, Garbage's Shirley Manson and Lena Dunham among her fans -- it's a testament to how far both country and U.S. audiences have come.
That they've traveled that distance to embrace should only make us more optimistic about where we're headed as fans and as a country.-- Written by Jason Notte in Portland, Ore. >To contact the writer of this article, click here: Jason Notte. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/notteham. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV