Newmont Mining Corporation (NYSE: NEM) (“Newmont” or the “Company”) today reported first quarter 2014 financial and operating results.
“We are building on the momentum we established in 2013 with strong cost and production performance in the first quarter of 2014,” said Gary Goldberg, President and Chief Executive Officer. “Our team drove down all-in sustaining costs by $82 million compared to the prior year quarter through sustainable cost and efficiency improvements. We are also delivering on our commitment to improve mining fundamentals, which led to a 40 percent increase in gold production at Tanami compared to the prior year quarter. We are confident we can maintain this trajectory as the year progresses, as evidenced by our updated outlook for lower costs and higher production for Africa.”
Highlights for the first quarter
- Achieved reported net income attributable to shareholders from continuing operations of $117 million, or $0.23 per basic share, and adjusted net income 1 of $108 million, or $0.22 per basic share;
- Generated cash from continuing operations of $183 million;
- Generated cost savings of $82 million in gold all-in sustaining costs 2 (“AISC”), which equates to $1,034 per ounce, down 8 percent from the prior year quarter;
- Realized costs applicable to sales (“CAS”) of $751 per ounce of gold and $2.71 per pound of copper, a decrease of 1 percent and an increase of 19 percent, respectively, over first quarter last year;
- Delivered 1.2 million ounces and 24 thousand tonnes of attributable gold and copper production, with higher gold production coming from our Australia/New Zealand and Africa operations;
- Improved AISC outlook 3 by 13 percent, and production outlook by 2 percent in Africa; and
- Declared a second quarter dividend of $0.025 per share in accordance with the Company’s gold price-linked dividend policy 4.
First Quarter Financial ResultsThe Company reported attributable net income from continuing operations of $117 million, or $0.23 per basic share, compared with $314 million, or $0.63 per share in 2013. The Company reported adjusted net income of $108 million, or $0.22 per basic share, compared with $353 million, or $0.70 per basic share a year earlier. Improved production and stable operating costs relative to the prior year quarter were offset by declines in average realized gold and copper prices of approximately 21 percent and 20 percent, respectively. Reduced spending on exploration, advanced projects, and sustaining capital also led to $82 million in lower gold AISC this quarter.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV