Non-GAAP Income from Operations Up 40% Core Sales Up 13% Malvern Sales Up 49% Europe Sales Up 31% China Direct Sales Up 56%
SOUTH JORDAN, Utah, April 24, 2014 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Merit Medical Systems, Inc. (Nasdaq:MMSI), a leading manufacturer and marketer of proprietary disposable devices used primarily in cardiology, radiology and endoscopy, today announced record sales of $119.2 million for the quarter ended March 31, 2014, an increase of 15% over sales of $103.9 million for the quarter ended March 31, 2013.
Merit's non-GAAP net income for the quarter ended March 31, 2014, was $5.4 million, or $0.12 per share, compared to $4.3 million, or $0.10 per share, for the quarter ended March 31, 2013. The increase in non-GAAP net income was attributable primarily to increased sales and higher gross margins, which were partially offset by increases in interest expense and a higher effective income tax rate.Merit's GAAP net income for the first quarter of 2014 was $2.8 million, or $0.07 per share, compared to net income of $671,000, or $0.02 per share, for the first quarter of 2013. For the first quarter of 2014, compared to the first quarter of 2013, Malvern sales grew 49%; BioSphere sales increased 28%; stand-alone device sales rose 18%; catheter sales grew 16%; inflation device sales were up 10%; Endotek sales increased 3%; and custom kit and tray sales rose 3%. Excluding sales to an OEM customer, inflation device sales increased 7%. Non-GAAP gross margin was 46.0% of sales for the quarter ended March 31, 2014, compared to 44.4% of sales for the quarter ended March 31, 2013. GAAP gross margin for the first quarter of 2014 was 43.6% of sales, compared to 41.4% of sales for the first quarter of 2013. The increase in gross margin was primarily related to lower average fixed overhead unit costs which reflect higher production volumes for the first quarter of 2014, compared to the first quarter of 2013.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV