Heritage Financial Group, Inc. (NASDAQ: HBOS), the holding company for HeritageBank of the South, today announced unaudited financial results for the quarter ended March 31, 2014. Key aspects of the Company's results for the first quarter of 2014 include:
- Net income of $1.3 million or $0.18 per diluted share, down 61% from $3.4 million or $0.45 per diluted share for the linked quarter and down 66% from $3.9 million or $0.52 per diluted share for the year-earlier quarter;
- Excluding special items for each quarter, net income of $1.8 million or $0.24 per diluted share, down 55% from $4.0 million or $0.53 per diluted share for the linked quarter and down 11% from $2.0 million or $0.27 per diluted share for the year-earlier quarter (see reconciliation of non-GAAP items);
- Loan growth, excluding loans acquired through FDIC-assisted acquisitions, of $18.0 million or 3% on a linked-quarter basis and $98.8 million or 16% compared with the year-earlier quarter;
- A decline in nonperforming loans, excluding FDIC-acquired loans, of 2% on a linked-quarter basis and 28% compared with the year-earlier quarter;
- A decrease in the provision for loan losses, excluding FDIC-acquired loans, to $65,000, down 70% from $220,000 for the linked quarter and down 86% compared with $450,000 for the year-earlier quarter; and
- An increase in the provision for FDIC-acquired loan losses to $105,000, up from $12,000 for the linked quarter (there was no provision for FDIC-acquired loan losses in the year-earlier quarter).
Commenting on the results, Leonard Dorminey, President and Chief Executive Officer, said, "While accretion from our FDIC-assisted acquisitions and mortgage banking add volatility to our earnings, we are pleased to note ongoing improvement in our core operations. Asset quality indicators in our core loan portfolio continue to improve and organic loan growth is on track for another year of double-digit growth. Our banking expansion efforts continue as we opened a loan production office in Birmingham during the quarter. Our mortgage expansion also continues as we were able to recruit a mortgage banking team in Colorado Springs, Colorado during the quarter. This team, which had previously worked with our mortgage executives, will add significantly to our mortgage expansion efforts."