SAN FRANCISCO and NEW YORK, April 24, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- The findings of a new study were released today, exploring how women integrate lifestyle video into their lives, its impact on purchasing behavior and how brands can benefit from aligning with premium, lifestyle content. The study, which focused on U.S. women, ages 18-49, was jointly commissioned by ulive, the online lifestyle video brand from Scripps Networks Interactive, Inc. (NYSE: SNI) and POPSUGAR, a global lifestyle media and technology company, and conducted by Ipsos OTX.
"One of the most interesting findings is the desire women have for content that is positive in tone. With the large amount of negative and salacious commentary found on the web, women increasingly seek funny, profound and inspirational videos that are compelling and entertaining," says Rob McLoughlin, vice president of POPSUGAR Insights.
"Women seek out and value lifestyle videos for two main reasons: To learn something new about a topic they care about and to be entertained, wherever they are," says Lisa Choi Owens, COO of ulive. "This combination of learning and entertainment works well for brands to engage this valuable demographic as well as further understand their purchasing behaviors."
The key findings include:
- Women watch video that both entertains and inspires. Women are seeking videos that are genuinely trying to educate, offer interesting, informative content and motivate them to take action. A large majority of women say that lifestyle video entertains them (74%) and helps them learn (71%), inspiring them to try something new (60%).
- Lifestyle video motivates women to share and take action. After watching lifestyle videos, 66% of women seek more information, including information about brands, and 60% share the videos with both friends and family offline and online via social media.
- Video is an effective way for brands to engage with women. Women are open to hearing from brands and take action when relevant brands are appropriately presented in their favorite lifestyle video content. In fact, 54% of women watch lifestyle videos to learn more about products and brands, and 50% of avid lifestyle video consumers (women who stream 240+ minutes of lifestyle content a month) have visited a site or brick and mortar store to purchase the product they saw advertised in a lifestyle video.
- Women strongly prefer high quality video that is authentic, concise and positive in tone. The most avid lifestyle video consumers seek video content that is fun to watch (59%) authentic and real (48%), featuring hosts that are passionate about the topic (38%).
- Women seek tips and advice from streaming video content at home. Due to women's increasingly busy lifestyles, they are turning to online videos to teach them new skills such as exercises and make-up techniques, instead of traditional in-person instruction. For example, 54% of women would rather watch a video on how to apply makeup than get their makeup done in a department store, and 53% of women would rather exercise at home via video than at the gym with a personal trainer.
- Women have clearly defined views of what they'd like to see in the lifestyle videos they consume. The study shows that 49% of women want to see more videos that provide "how-to instructions" on how to accomplish the task, cook the meal, get the look or learn an exercise. Women want more personalization, including content that is based on their interests (46%) and is short and high quality (30%).
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV