The firm reported a 3% year over year decline in profit as a result of lower appreciation of its investments, overshadowing a near-doubling in fees it received for managing assets and doing deals, Reuters reports.
The decline in earnings was less than most analysts expected, and the firm's first-quarter dividend, up 59% year-on-year on higher proceeds from asset sales, also exceeded most analysts' forecasts, Reuters noted.
The firm's private equity funds appreciated by 4.5%.Economic net income, or ENI, was $630.3 million, below the 647.7 million of a year ago. This translated into after-tax ENI of 82 cents per adjusted share versus the average 52 cents forecast by analysts in a Thomson Reuters poll. Must Read: Warren Buffett's 10 Favorite Growth Stocks
- Compared to where it was a year ago today, the stock is now trading at a higher level, reflecting both the market's overall trend during that period and the fact that the company's earnings growth has been robust. Turning our attention to the future direction of the stock, it goes without saying that even the best stocks can fall in an overall down market. However, in any other environment, this stock still has good upside potential despite the fact that it has already risen in the past year.
- KKR & CO LP reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. We feel that this trend should continue. During the past fiscal year, KKR & CO LP increased its bottom line by earning $2.29 versus $2.23 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($2.38 versus $2.29).
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Capital Markets industry. The net income increased by 187.3% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $96.73 million to $277.91 million.
- KKR, with its decline in revenue, underperformed when compared the industry average of 7.3%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues fell by 29.5%. The declining revenue has not hurt the company's bottom line, with increasing earnings per share.
- The company's current return on equity has slightly decreased from the same quarter one year prior. This implies a minor weakness in the organization. Compared to other companies in the Capital Markets industry and the overall market, KKR & CO LP's return on equity significantly exceeds that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: KKR Ratings Report
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV