NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Shares of Caterpillar are climbing on Thursday after the company beat first-quarter earnings expectations, boosted by the improving construction industry.
Shares of Caterpillar (CAT) were climbing on Thursday after the construction equipment company reported first-quarter results that beat analysts' estimates.
Caterpillar reported net profit of $922 million, or $1.61 a share, for the quarter, topping its results from the same period a year ago and analysts' expectations for profit of $1.24 a share, according to Thomson Reuters.The company also raised its full-year earnings forecast to $6.10 a share from $5.85 on growing demand from builders. Caterpillar expects its sales to the global construction industry to increase 10% from 2013, up from its prior 5% estimate. However, the company warned that its mining business will face challenges in 2014, and it lists the Chinese construction industry and situation in Ukraine and Russia as concerns.
WATCH: More videos from Brittany Umar on TheStreet TV At last check, shares of Caterpillar were climbing more than 3% to $106.72. In New York, I'm Brittany Umar for TheStreet. Written by Brittany Umar in New York.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV