NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- In this choppy market, we're going take a look at both longs and shorts today.
On the long side, Sanmina (SANM) had a very important breakout on Wednesday, up $2.64, or 14.5%, to $20.90 on 4 million shares.
It jumped through the top of its five-month up-channel as well as through lateral resistance going back to last fall. It also broke through a longer-term resistance line going back four years. The next target is $27, near the top of the two-year rising channel.
SodaStream International (SODA) popped on Wednesday, up $4.33, or 10.7%, to $44.76 on 8.5 million shares. It broke out across a double top as well as through its declining tops line and 50-day moving average, a big technical move.
Let's see if it can fill the gap from January at around $49.50. If it does, the secondary target would be at $51.75.
On the short side, ITT Educational Services (ESI) has moved back up in recent days toward the top of its down-channel, but on no positive change in technicals.On Wednesday, it reversed down off the channel top, off 15 cents to $27.92, after trading as high as $28.93, and it looks like it's headed much lower, maybe even toward channel and lateral support in the low 20s. Home Inns & Hotels Management (HMIN), which lost another $1.35 to $32.30 on Wednesday, has come down in four legs already. It is in a bearish wedge near the top of its declining channel, and may be due for a fifth leg down, which could take it toward $25-$26.
See Harry's video chart analysis on these stocks.
At the time of publication, the author had no position in any of the stocks mentioned. This article represents the opinion of a contributor and not necessarily that of TheStreet or its editorial staff.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV