New Research Shows Survival Benefit With Daily Dialysis In A Nursing Home Setting
LAS VEGAS, April 24, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- On Wednesday, April 23, 2014, Affiliated Dialysis Centers, LLC ("ADC") shared the release of clinical data in a Late Breaking Poster Session at the 2014 National Kidney Foundation (NKF) Spring Clinical Meetings in Las Vegas, NV. Xelay Acumen, a strategy and medical data analytics firm, independently led the data collection and analysis effort, and Dr. Alex Yang, M.D. presented the results. Earlier this year, ADC presented the first results of a large epidemiological health outcomes clinical research study involving End Stage Renal Disease (ESRD) patients who received their dialysis care on-site in the nursing home setting. The study utilized the largest known database of ESRD patients receiving dialysis in the nursing home setting, consisting of nearly 4,000 patients tracked over a 6-year follow-up period. In this new study utilizing this clinical database, health status and patient outcomes were compared in nursing home patients receiving daily home hemodialysis vs. conventional thrice weekly hemodialysis.
Patients with ESRD on dialysis have one of the highest mortality rates of any disease, surpassing many cancers. Within this ESRD patient population, nursing home patients typically have even greater health challenges by virtue of their need to be in a nursing home. Thus identifying beneficial treatment paradigms for these patients is a significant clinical priority.
The key findings from this large epidemiological research study were that, compared to conventional thrice weekly dialysis, patients treated on-site in a nursing home setting with daily home hemodialysis had:
- Generally improved health status
- Lower monthly mortality rates
- Significantly longer median survival (50 months vs 30 months; P<0.001)
"The ADC database is a unique and extremely important research tool, which allows us to study a large population of ESRD patients on dialysis in the nursing home setting and test hypotheses about optimal care and outcomes for this at-risk patient population," said Dr. Yang. "The improvements in health status, and particularly in overall survival, in patients treated with daily home dialysis in this study are provocative and suggest the need for a prospective outcomes study."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV