Helsinki, Finland-based ProtoGeo Oy, which owns Moves, will be joining Facebook, as the social networking giant continues to build out its suite of applications. Moves, which has been downloaded more than 4 million times for both iPhone and Android users, is a fitness app that allows people to better understand their fitness activities. "Now, we're joining Facebook's talented team to work on building and improving their products and services with a shared mission of supporting simple, efficient tools for more than a billion people," Move said in the blog post.
Terms of the deal were not disclosed.
In the blog post announcing the acquisition, Moves made sure to note that Moves would remain a standalone app, and there were no plans to change that. "For those of you that use the Moves app -- the Moves experience will continue to operate as a standalone app, and there are no plans to change that or commingle data with Facebook."
"As part of Facebook's multi-app strategy, we're excited to announce that the popular Moves app will be joining Facebook's suite of applications. Key members of Moves will be joining Facebook at our headquarters in Menlo Park, CA," Facebook said, in announcing the deal.
Moves was launched in Jan. 2013, with ProtoGeo raising seed funding from Lifeline Ventures, PROfounders, AJP Holding, Juha Lindfors, Jyri Engestrom and Tekes.
--Written by Chris Ciaccia in New York >Contact by Email. Follow @Chris_Ciaccia
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV