For the first time in five years, a majority of small business owners are optimistic about the economy, and business owners in regions of the country that last year were most concerned about the economy are now looking up according to results of the 2014 U.S. Bank Annual Small Business Survey.
Now in its fifth year, the U.S. Bank Annual Small Business Survey measured the opinions of more than 3,000 small business owners who shared their views on the state of the national and their local economy today, general business conditions and challenges, and their outlook for 2015.
“We’re pleased to see small business optimism at a five-year high,” said John Elmore, vice chairman for community banking and branch delivery at U.S. Bank. “The survey results confirm what we’re hearing in the field. Business is strong, and while uncertainty remains and is dampening their plans to hire and expand, their outlook for 2015 is trending positive.”
The Economy In 2014, 56 percent of small business owners said they feel that the national economy is in a state of recovery or expansion, up significantly from 46 percent last year. In 2010, nearly nine out of 10 small business owners said the U.S. economy was in a recession. This year, that number reached a five-year low, with only 34 percent of respondents saying they believe the economy is still in a recession.
|Do you believe the U.S. economy is in a recession, recovery, expansion, or are you unsure?|
|Note: percentages not equaling 100% are due to rounding.|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV