Four more major carriers will report on Thursday, while Alaska (ALK) will report Friday.
In trading Wednesday, Hawaiian shares led the industry with a 7% gain, rising 94 cents to $14.63. The carrier reported, following the close on Tuesday, that its adjusted first-quarter loss, which excludes fuel costs, was 2 cents share, narrower than consensus estimate of a 12-cent-loss.
Delta shares rose 6%, gaining $2.14 to $37.09, after the carrier reported a record first-quarter profit excluding items of $281 million, beat estimates and guided toward a strong current quarter, with April passenger revenue per available seat mile up 6% and similar numbers expected in May and June.
Imperial Capital analyst Bob McAdoo wrote Wednesday that he was pleased by Hawaiian's move of aircraft "from unprofitable Asia routes to more profitable West Coastroutes," with service to Maui from San Jose and Los Angeles replacing service to Fukuoka, Japan, and Tapei.
McAdoo maintained a $16 price target, based on an earnings multiple of eleven. Cowen & Co. analyst Helane Becker raised her price target to $14 from $13.
Since Delta trades at 10 times earnings, "the mere $1.70 intraday increase in Delta's share price on Wednesday strikes us as insufficient," Baker wrote.
Written by Ted Reed in Charlotte, N.C.
To contact this writer, click here.
Disclosure: TheStreet's editorial policy prohibits staff editors, reporters and analysts from holding positions in any individual stocks.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV