NEW YORK (The Deal) -- Smart glasses and wearable visual computing continue to attract capital, with software developer APX Labs raising $10 million from New Enterprise Associates, in a deal announced Tuesday.
APX's Skylight software platform allows smart glasses such as Google's (GOOG) Google Glass or Epson America's Moverio to integrate data and content from corporate systems developed by SAP (SAP) Microsoft (MSFT) and others.
The technology would allow remote workers for an energy company or medical staff to access manuals or instructional videos, or relay visual communications to a physically remote superior, without using their hands or stopping work, among other applications.
"Wearables are the next exciting mobile platform," APX co-founder and CEO Brian Ballard said.The investment increased APX's total capital raise to $15.8 million. NEA partners Peter Barris and Dayna Grayson will join the board of the Herndon, Va., company. Though on a much smaller scale, the deal followed Facebook's (FB) blockbuster $2 billion purchase of virtual reality hardware developer Oculus. Facebook's purchase is not directly analogous. APX develops software, not hardware. Oculus makes virtual reality headsets that provide a view of an alternate reality, unlike smart glasses that augment vision with displays. However, medical, educational and other uses of the products overlap.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV