NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Walmart (WMT) will launch its new money-transfer service Thursday. What will this mean for long-time stalwarts Western Union (WU) and MoneyGram (MGI)?
Walmart has the size to make it in this business and will offer low transaction costs, but that doesn't mean doom for the traditional players although MoneyGram does operate out of Walmart stores.
The service, which allows consumers in the U.S. to transfer money up to $900 to any one of the 4,000 domestic Walmart stores, is a smart move on the part of Walmart because it will help drive store traffic.
However, the impact on Western Union and MoneyGram won't be as huge as the investment community projects. Here's why.
The Walmart service will only be made available in the U.S, which means only the U.S. segment of Western Union and MoneyGram that will feel the impact. Both of these companies have a strong multinational presence. In fact, North America is not even the largest portion of their revenue.
In addition, both companies have strong agent networks, which is their biggest asset in this case. Western Union and MoneyGram, as of the end of 2013, have 500,000 and 336,000 agent locations across 200 countries, respectively. None of these agents will automatically start using Walmart's payment service.In fact, these agents would reduce the extent to which Walmart can gain entrance into the U.S. money transfer market. I mean, customers don't have a choice with Western Union and MoneyGram agents that use the services of these companies as a part of their businesses.
For instance, Axcess Financial, the operator of Check 'n Go with over 1000 locations in the U.S., has a deal with Western Union. The introduction of Walmart's service will have little to no effect on how the financial services provider does its business. Let's look at the annual reports of these companies.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV