Unusual Social Activity Around Ingersoll-Rand (IR) Today
Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link.Trade-Ideas LLC identified Ingersoll-Rand (IR) as an unusual social activity candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified Ingersoll-Rand as such a stock due to the following factors:
- IR has more that 20x the normal benchmarked social activity for this time of the day compared to its average of 2.03 mentions/day.
- IR has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $188.1 million.
Identifying stocks with 'Unusual Social Activity' tends to be a valuable process for traders looking to capitalize on the 'talk of the town' stocks that are basking in far more attention from the StockTwits financial community than normal. Good press? Bad press? It ultimately doesn't matter if it's good or bad if you know how to trade around the sentiment. Certain hedge funds use such data for their proprietary algorithms and it is not uncommon to see shared social sentiment play itself out in a stock's price trend.EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in IR with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for IR NOW at Trade-IdeasMore details on IR: Ingersoll-Rand plc, together with its subsidiaries, designs, manufactures, sells, and services a portfolio of industrial and commercial products in the United States and internationally. It operates through Climate and Industrial segments. The stock currently has a dividend yield of 1.7%. IR has a PE ratio of 28.1. Currently there are 3 analysts that rate Ingersoll-Rand a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and 10 rate it a hold.The average volume for Ingersoll-Rand has been 2.8 million shares per day over the past 30 days. Ingersoll-Rand has a market cap of $16.0 billion and is part of the industrial goods sector and industrial industry. The stock has a beta of 1.53 and a short float of 0.9% with 0.81 days to cover. Shares are down 5.9% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Tuesday.STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.TheStreetRatings.com Analysis:TheStreet Quant Ratings rates Ingersoll-Rand as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures and increase in stock price during the past year. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had sub par growth in net income.Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The current debt-to-equity ratio, 0.50, is low and is below the industry average, implying that there has been successful management of debt levels. Along with the favorable debt-to-equity ratio, the company maintains an adequate quick ratio of 1.18, which illustrates the ability to avoid short-term cash problems.
- Regardless of the drop in revenue, the company managed to outperform against the industry average of 17.2%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues fell by 10.7%. Weakness in the company's revenue seems to have hurt the bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
- INGERSOLL-RAND PLC has experienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. The company has suffered a declining pattern of earnings per share over the past year. However, we anticipate this trend reversing over the coming year. During the past fiscal year, INGERSOLL-RAND PLC reported lower earnings of $2.07 versus $3.29 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($3.14 versus $2.07).
- Compared to where it was 12 months ago, the stock is up, but it has so far lagged the appreciation in the S&P 500. The stock's price rise over the last year has driven it to a level which is somewhat expensive compared to the rest of its industry. We feel, however, that other strengths this company displays justify these higher price levels.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Machinery industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 79.8% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $235.60 million to $47.70 million.
- You can view the full Ingersoll-Rand Ratings Report.
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV