Tens of thousands of Comcast and NBCUniversal employees, their family and friends, and community partners are expected to spend Saturday, April 26, giving back to their communities as they take part in Comcast Cares Day, the nation’s largest single-day corporate volunteer effort. Last year, more than 85,000 people volunteered at Comcast Cares Day projects around the world. Comcast Cares Day occurs every April, which is National Volunteer Month, and has surpassed more than 3 million volunteer hours and 500,000 volunteers since it first began in 2001. Now in its 13 th year, the annual day of service has also contributed more than $14 million to local non-profit organizations.
“Each year, I look forward to working alongside my Comcast and NBCUniversal colleagues, their family members and friends, and our many community partners to make a real and lasting impact in our local communities,” said Brian L. Roberts, Chairman and CEO, Comcast Corporation. “Community service and volunteerism are a deep part of our company’s culture. I am so very proud of our employees who donate their time and talents to help improve our neighborhoods on Comcast Cares Day.”
During this year’s Comcast Cares Day, volunteers at more than 800 projects will serve at sites worldwide with NBCUniversal managing projects in about a dozen countries, including England, Singapore, France, Germany, India, Spain, Austria, Switzerland, Australia and Italy.
“Comcast Cares Day exemplifies Comcast and NBCUniversal’s commitment to help our neighbors and respond to local needs in the communities where we live and work,” said David L. Cohen, Executive Vice President, Comcast Corporation. “Our unwavering focus on strengthening our communities can be seen year-round as we join with non-profit organizations that work tirelessly to make a positive local impact.”On Saturday, volunteers will contribute their time and energy by providing maintenance, supplies and makeovers to local schools, parks and community centers. Comcast Cares Day comes on the heels of Earth Week, which is widely supported by NBCUniversal’s Green is Universal initiative. Many planet-friendly projects such as building community gardens, cleaning beaches and riverbanks, and planting trees will add to the diverse line-up of projects. Comcast and NBCUniversal also have partnered with many non-profit community organizations and local chapters of the National Council of La Raza and the National Urban League, who will be working side by side with Comcast Cares Day volunteers on Saturday. Additionally, teams from Comcast and NBCUniversal will be partnering with Big Brothers Big Sisters, Boys and Girls Clubs of America, City Year, and Easter Seals, along with hundreds of other local community organizations. Below is a sampling of the multiple projects taking place this week:
Washington, Ill. (Storm Relief Clean-Up) – On November 17, 2013, an EF-4 tornado devastated Washington, IL and other surrounding communities. Bethany Community Church has been working since that time to provide relief to the community by sending in thousands of volunteer work teams and arranging housing for the displaced. As of March 15th, around 50 percent of the clean-up has been done, but there is still a lot of work to do. Approximately 500 Comcast Cares Day volunteers will clear and haul debris, and tear out drywall and carpet in impacted community facilities.
- Baltimore City, Md. (Druid Hill Park) – Approximately 300 volunteers will be building a native garden, pruning, weeding and mulching, cleaning up trash around the park, and installing a fence.
- Nashville, Tenn. (Jere Baxter Middle School) – Approximately 400 volunteers will be sprucing up the school by landscaping the main entrance, hanging bulletin boards, cleaning and decorating classrooms, painting, and building a small shed near the athletic field.
- Ang Mo Kio, Singapore (Thye Hua Kwan Senior Activity Center) – Volunteers at the senior center will be spring cleaning and providing companionship with the elderly for the afternoon.
- Houston, Texas (Camp Hope) – Approximately 270 volunteers will lend a hand at Camp Hope, which provides interim housing for veterans and their families suffering from combat-related post-traumatic stress disorder in a caring and positive environment. Projects will include park cleanup and deck maintenance.
- Los Angeles, Calif. (Rio Vista Elementary School) – Approximately 500 volunteers will transform the walls of the school by painting multicultural and diverse murals as well as general beautification of the school.
- New York, NY (East River Park Revitalization) – Approximately 70 volunteers will improve East River Park by removing weeds from plant beds, applying compost and woodchips to trees, planting native shrubs, and painting a fence. The completed projects will prepare East River Park for the busy summer months.
- Philadelphia, Penn. (Germantown Boys & Girls Club) – More than 250 volunteers will clean up the historic structure that serves the Boys & Girls Club as well as adjacent athletic fields and open space. Litter removal, landscaping, painting, and minor repairs will be included in the project.
- London, UK (Action Homeless Concern) – Volunteers will be preparing and serving lunch and refreshments to the homeless, clearing tables, washing dishes and sorting the food pantry.
- Washington, D.C. (West Education Campus) – Approximately 400 volunteers will participate in this school clean-up project that includes painting murals, planting flowers and plants, mulching and building vegetable gardens. West Education Campus supports the development of creative and innovative thinkers from preschool through 8th grade.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV