The company said it earned $989 million, or 25 cents a share. Analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters had estimated 31 cents. Revenue rose 6% to $35.9 billion. Analysts had estimated $34 billion.
In the same period a year earlier, Ford earned $1.64 billion, or 41 cents a share.
In premarket trading, Ford shares were down 37 cents to $15.95.
Ford said results were reduced by $900 million, or 17 cents a share, because of higher warranty costs, as it increased warranty reserves in North America, and currency exchange effects in South America. "While similar factors could occur in the future, it is unusual for items like these to occur in this magnitude in the same quarter," the automaker said.The company also reported $100 million in weather-related costs as parts could not be delivered. First quarter pretax profit was $1.4 billion, down $765 million from the same period a year earlier. Asia Pacific reported a record profit, while North America and Middle East & Africa were profitable. The loss in Europe was reduced by more than half and the loss in South America increased. Ford ended the quarter with automotive gross cash of $25.2 billion, exceeding debt by $9.5 billion, and liquidity of $36.6 billion. Written by Ted Reed in Charlotte, N.C.
To contact this writer, click here.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV