FORT WORTH, Texas (TheStreet) -- American (AAL) reported record first-quarter net income on Thursday that beat Wall Street estimates. It was the airline's first full quarter following a merger with US Airways.
Excluding items, American reported net profit of $402 million, or 54 cents a share. Analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters had estimated 48 cents. Revenue rose 5.6% to $10 billion, in line with estimates.
"For the first quarter, I'm pleased to report a record first quarter net profit of $402 million excluding net special credits," said CEO Doug Parker, in a message to employees. "In the entire history of American Airlines, we have never earned $400 million in the first three months of a year, but in the first three months since the merger, we did."In the same period a year earlier, excluding items, the carrier reported a combined net profit of $62 million for American Airlines and US Airways. Including items, net profit in the first quarter of 2014 was a record $480 million, compared with a net loss of $297 million in the first quarter of 2013, when AMR Corp. was operating under bankruptcy court protection. During the quarter, capacity increased 2%. Combined consolidated passenger revenue per available seat mile rose 2.9% to a record 13.67 cents. On the cost side, mainline cost per available seat mile excluding fuel and special charges rose 4% to 8.96 cents. Including fuel and special items, Mainline CASM fell 2.7% including fuel and items. As of March 31, American had approximately $10.6 billion in total cash and short-term investments, of which $947 million was restricted. Written by Ted Reed in Charlotte, N.C.
To contact this writer, click here.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV