NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Valeant Pharmaceuticals (VRX) climbed Tuesday as the company pursues a takeover of Allergan (AGN) along with activist investor William Ackman's hedge fund, Pershing Square Capital Management.
On Tuesday, Valeant revealed the details of its takeover bid for the Botox maker. Valeant announced it would trade each Allergan stock for $48.30 in cash and 0.83 shares of Valeant common stock, which would value the offer at approximately $45 billion. Ackman said late Monday that Pershing had acquired most of a 9.7% stake in Allergan for $3.2 billion. The stake is currently all in options and is the largest Ackman has ever taken.
Valeant rose 6.87% to $134.67, an $8.66 increase from its previous close of $126.01, at the close of trading on Tuesday. More than 16.7 million shares changed hands on Tuesday, far greater than the average volume of 1,217,750. The stock had a range of $129.17 to $137.05 for the day and holds a 52-week range of $64.05 to $142.82.
Must Read: Warren Buffett's 10 Favorite Growth StocksSELL NOW: If you own any of the 900 stocks that TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified as a 'Sell'...you could potentially lose EVERYTHING in the next 6-12 months. Learn more. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet's Stocks Under $10 has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12-months. Learn more.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV