Illumina, Inc. (NASDAQ:ILMN) today announced its financial results for the first quarter of 2014.
First quarter 2014 results:
- Revenue of $421 million, a 27% increase compared to $331 million in the first quarter of 2013
- GAAP net income for the quarter of $60 million, or $0.40 per diluted share, compared to net loss of $23 million, or $0.18 per diluted share, for the first quarter of 2013
- Non-GAAP net income for the quarter of $80 million, or $0.53 per diluted share, compared to $63 million, or $0.46 per diluted share, for the first quarter of 2013 (see the table entitled “Itemized Reconciliation Between GAAP and Non-GAAP Net Income (Loss)” for a reconciliation of these GAAP and non-GAAP financial measures)
- Cash flow from operations of $37 million and free cash flow of $18 million for the quarter
Gross margin in the first quarter of 2014 was 66.1% compared to 66.3% in the prior year period. Excluding the effect of non-cash charges associated with stock compensation, amortization of acquired intangible assets, legal contingencies, and inventory revaluation adjustments, non-GAAP gross margin was 70.4% for the first quarter of 2014 compared to 69.2% in the prior year period.
Research and development (R&D) expenses for the first quarter of 2014 were $77.0 million compared to $61.5 million in the prior year period. R&D expenses included $11.7 million and $8.0 million of non-cash stock compensation expense in the first quarters of 2014 and 2013, respectively. Excluding these charges and contingent compensation, R&D expenses as a percentage of revenue were 15.5% compared to 16.0% in the prior year period.Selling, general and administrative (SG&A) expenses for the first quarter of 2014 were $109.6 million compared to $85.1 million in the prior year period. SG&A expenses included $19.4 million and $14.6 million of non-cash stock compensation expense in the first quarters of 2014 and 2013, respectively. Excluding these charges, amortization of acquired intangible assets and contingent compensation, SG&A expenses as a percentage of revenue were 19.9%, flat compared to the prior year period.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV