For the first quarter the oil and gas drilling company reported earnings of 16 cents a share, beating analysts' expectations of 14 cents a share by 2 cents. Revenue fell 3.7% from the year-ago quarter to $1.56 billion. Analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters expected revenue of $1.55 billion.
"As expected, weather-induced interruptions in our Completion Services segment overshadowed what was otherwise relatively good performance by our various drilling operations," chairman, president, and CEO Tony Petrello said in a statement. " Seasonal increases in Canada and Alaska, along with higher third-party sales in Canrig, partially offset the sharp reduction in Completion results. Operating income for our international and U.S. Lower 48 operations decreased slightly below the strong fourth quarter level, but was better than expected on higher rig years."
TheStreet Ratings team rates NABORS INDUSTRIES LTD as a Buy with a ratings score of B. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
"We rate NABORS INDUSTRIES LTD (NBR) a BUY. This is driven by some important positives, which we believe should have a greater impact than any weaknesses, and should give investors a better performance opportunity than most stocks we cover. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its increase in net income, revenue growth, expanding profit margins, solid stock price performance and largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had somewhat disappointing return on equity."
Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Energy Equipment & Services industry. The net income increased by 443.9% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $27.83 million to $151.35 million.
- Despite its growing revenue, the company underperformed as compared with the industry average of 8.3%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 2.3%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- 35.73% is the gross profit margin for NABORS INDUSTRIES LTD which we consider to be strong. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Regardless of the strong results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of 9.41% trails the industry average.
- Compared to its closing price of one year ago, NBR's share price has jumped by 57.81%, exceeding the performance of the broader market during that same time frame. We feel that the stock's sharp appreciation over the last year has driven it to a price level which is now somewhat expensive compared to the rest of its industry. The other strengths this company shows, however, justify the higher price levels.
- NABORS INDUSTRIES LTD's earnings per share declined by 6.7% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has suffered a declining pattern of earnings per share over the past year. However, we anticipate this trend reversing over the coming year. During the past fiscal year, NABORS INDUSTRIES LTD reported lower earnings of $0.51 versus $0.80 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($1.10 versus $0.51).
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: NBR Ratings Report