Procter & Gamble's share price also may have peaked for now, even though the company intends to win the competition for the best diaper in the business. Its Pampers brand still lags Kimberly-Clark's Huggies in the North American diaper sales derby by about 8%.
P&G steps into the earnings confessional on Wednesday, April 23, before the market opens. If first-quarter earnings per share exceed $1.02, that should be a positive for the stock, but I expect revenue to be flat compared to the year-ago quarter. After a precipitous sell-off at the beginning of 2014, the share price of P&G recovered.
PG data by YCharts
The company maintained a robust 19% trailing 12-month operating margin, 3% higher than Kimberly-Clark. P&G's current $2.57 annual dividend yields 3.17% for investors who buy at $81 a share. The company's nearly $9 billion levered free cash flow should help maintain this attractive yield, although the payout ratio is a high 64%.
If you don't already own shares, you may want to buy after P&G reports. Don't be surprised if shares correct below $80 and test the March 21 low of $77.88 between now and the next quarterly report in July.
At the time of publication, the author had a position in PG but no position in any of the other stocks mentioned.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV