Craft Brew Alliance (CB A ) (NASDAQ:BREW), an independent craft brewing company, today announced the release of its 2013 Sustainability Report. Sustainability in its brewing practices and operations has been a priority for the company from the beginning; however, this is the first year it released an annual summary report of its core objectives and achievements. CB A ’s 2013 Sustainability Report provides an update on the company’s sustainability priorities, programs and community and national partnerships, and includes an infographic showcasing some of the biggest accomplishments achieved across the company’s breweries nationwide.
“Being in the brewing industry, where water is one of the key ingredients in the beers we brew, we have a direct line of sight to the impact we can make – on our local community and environment – through our sustainability efforts,” said Scott Mennen, Vice President of Brewery Operations for CB A . “Brewing great-tasting, high-quality beers is our primary objective, and one of the things we are most proud of is brewing those beers in a way that is sustainable and makes a positive impact on our communities and the environment; this is our responsibility. This report reflects our commitment to continually finding ways to improve our environmental stewardship while creating world-class craft beers for consumers.”
2013 CB A Sustainability Report Highlights
- All CB A breweries are committed to recycling and waste diversion programs; in 2013, our Portland brewery, which is our largest, achieved a significant 99.4% landfill diversion rate, primarily as a result of the more than 30 tons of brewers’ spent grain delivered to local dairy farms.
- Across CB A , we rigorously track several Key Performance Indicators around reducing our carbon footprint. In 2013, we reduced the amount of natural gas therms used to produce a barrel of beer by 6.3%, putting our overall therms per barrel at an industry-leading 1.67.
- Our Portsmouth brewery implemented an innovative water reclamation system that allows us to get more mileage out of the water used for rinsing and equipment cooling.
- Our brewery in Kona, Hawaii offsets 50% of its electricity needs through a rooftop photovoltaic solar panel system.
- Through its partnership with Washington’s Department of Ecology TREEs (Technical Resources in Energy Efficiency), our Woodinville brewery identified and repaired more than 30 compressed air leaks, for $20,000 in electricity savings.
- Our water usage per gallon of beer is now 4.73 gallons, with our Portland brewery using only 4.07 gallons per gallon of beer brewed.
- All five of CB A ’s pubs are certified by the Green Restaurant Association.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV