NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Scientific Games (SGMS) surged Tuesday after the company announced it had signed a three-year contract with La Francaise des Jeux, or FDJ, which operates the French National Lottery.
Scientific Games will continue to serve as FDJ's primary supplier of instant games. FDJ is the second-largest instant game lottery in the world. The company supplies much of FDJ's game portfolio, including its top-selling 5 Cash game and its 10 Millionaire game, the only 10 instant game currently on the French market.
The contract began on Jan. 1 and includes an option for the Lottery to extend it for three additional one-year periods.
"FDJ is a valued and long-term partner and this is an extremely positive achievement for Scientific Games," said Executive Vice President and Group Chief Executive of Lottery Jim Kennedy in a statement. "It confirms our position as the number one instant game supplier for FDJ."The stock was up 11.07% to $12.64 at 11:21 a.m. on Tuesday. Nearly 1.3 million shares had changed hands, which beat the average volume of 1,133,650. Must Read: Warren Buffett's 10 Favorite Growth Stocks SELL NOW: If you own any of the 900 stocks that TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified as a 'Sell'...you could potentially lose EVERYTHING in the next 6-12 months. Learn more ---------- Separately, TheStreet Ratings team rates SCIENTIFIC GAMES CORP as a "hold" with a ratings score of C. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation: "We rate SCIENTIFIC GAMES CORP (SGMS) a HOLD. The primary factors that have impacted our rating are mixed - some indicating strength, some showing weaknesses, with little evidence to justify the expectation of either a positive or negative performance for this stock relative to most other stocks. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its robust revenue growth, solid stock price performance and impressive record of earnings per share growth. However, as a counter to these strengths, we find that the company has favored debt over equity in the management of its balance sheet." Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- SGMS's very impressive revenue growth greatly exceeded the industry average of 3.8%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues leaped by 62.9%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- Powered by its strong earnings growth of 93.33% and other important driving factors, this stock has surged by 37.84% over the past year, outperforming the rise in the S&P 500 Index during the same period. Regarding the stock's future course, our hold rating indicates that we do not recommend additional investment in this stock despite its gains in the past year.
- The gross profit margin for SCIENTIFIC GAMES CORP is rather high; currently it is at 51.71%. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Regardless of the strong results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of -0.90% is in-line with the industry average.
- Current return on equity exceeded its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a clear sign of strength within the company. Compared to other companies in the Hotels, Restaurants & Leisure industry and the overall market, SCIENTIFIC GAMES CORP's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- The debt-to-equity ratio is very high at 8.51 and currently higher than the industry average, implying increased risk associated with the management of debt levels within the company. Even though the debt-to-equity ratio is weak, SGMS's quick ratio is somewhat strong at 1.46, demonstrating the ability to handle short-term liquidity needs.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: SGMS Ratings Report
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link reveal their investment tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
Jim Cramer's protégé, David Peltier, uncovers low dollar stocks with extraordinary upside potential that are flying under Wall Street's radar.
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
Jim Cramer's protégé, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
Every recommendation goes through 3 layers of intense scrutinyquantitative, fundamental and technical analysisto maximize profit potential and minimize risk.
Our options trading pros provide over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.