McDonald's stock -- which has risen 3% this year -- was recently trading at $99.50, down 17 cents.
While first-quarter revenue of $6.3 billion met analysts' average estimate, earnings per share came up 3 cents short at $1.21.Revenue was up just 1.4% versus the same quarter last year, while net income fell 5.1%. While global same-store sales rose 0.5%, they fell 1.7% in the U.S. Given that the company generated about 31.5% of total revenue from domestic locations last year, the drop in U.S. same-store sales is a concern for the market. McDonald's, arguably one of the best-run companies in the business, has a market capitalization of $99 billion, three times that of its closest competitor, Yum Brands (YUM).
MCD data by YCharts
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV