NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- SunPower Corp
(SPWR - Get Report) shares had coverage initiated with a "buy" rating by analysts at Brean Capital on Tuesday. The firm set a price target of $32 on the shares.
SunPower is up 1.7% to $28 in pre-market trading today.
Must Read: Warren Buffett's 10 Favorite Stocks
The firm cites the solar panel manufacturer's top position in the U.S. market and burgeoning international market share as reasons for the positive rating.
"Our estimates factor in what we consider to be conservative revenue growth assumptions and modest improvements in profitability. We see potential upside to our projections, and consider valuation compelling at current levels... our view is that the equity doesn't fully reflect both the underlying improvements in end markets and profitability," the firm stated.
- SUNPOWER CORP reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. We feel that this trend should continue. This trend suggests that the performance of the business is improving. During the past fiscal year, SUNPOWER CORP turned its bottom line around by earning $0.57 versus -$3.01 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($1.20 versus $0.57).
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Semiconductors & Semiconductor Equipment industry. The net income increased by 115.4% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from -$144.77 million to $22.34 million.
- SPWR, with its decline in revenue, slightly underperformed the industry average of 1.5%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly dropped by 6.0%. The declining revenue has not hurt the company's bottom line, with increasing earnings per share.
- The gross profit margin for SUNPOWER CORP is rather low; currently it is at 24.40%. Despite the low profit margin, it has increased significantly from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, SPWR's net profit margin of 3.50% is significantly lower than the industry average.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly decreased to $32.88 million or 86.40% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing the cash generation rate to the industry average, the firm's growth is significantly lower.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: SPWR Ratings Report
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts