Medidata (NASDAQ:MDSO), the leading global provider of cloud-based solutions for clinical research in life sciences, today announced its financial results for the first quarter of 2014.
"Interest in Medidata’s platform is at an all-time high as our clients and prospects look to transform clinical development,” said Tarek Sherif, Medidata's chairman and chief executive officer. “We are seeing great sales momentum, as our pipeline continues to build, giving us confidence that 2014 will be another outstanding year. Our industry focus, along with our ability to execute, innovate and make targeted strategic investments, is driving competitive advantage while laying the foundation for sustainable long-term success. Deep client relationships, client wins and strengthening partnerships with CROs and systems integrators are solidifying our leadership position in the global clinical research ecosystem.”
First Quarter 2014 Results
- Total revenues for the first quarter of 2014 were $76.6 million, an increase of $13.3 million, or 21%, compared with $63.3 million in 2013. Subscription revenue was $63.8 million, an increase of 26% compared with the same period last year.
- GAAP operating income for the quarter was $0.3 million, compared with $7.1 million in the first quarter of 2013. Non-GAAP operating income* for the first quarter of 2014 was $12.5 million, compared with $14.2 million a year ago.
- GAAP net (loss) for the first quarter of 2014 was ($1.8) million, or ($0.03) per diluted share, compared with net income of $5.7 million, or $0.11 per diluted share, in the first quarter of 2013. Adjusted non-GAAP net income* for the first quarter of 2014 was $5.9 million, or $0.11 per diluted share, compared with $9.1 million, or $0.17 per diluted share, in the first quarter of 2013. See the non-GAAP reconciliation included in this release for full details of the non-GAAP adjustments.
- Total cash, cash equivalents and marketable securities were $403.5 million at the end of the first quarter of 2014, an increase of $279.5 million, or 225%, compared with $124.0 million at the end of the first quarter of 2013, primarily due to net proceeds from the convertible senior notes issued during 2013 and strong cash flows over the past year.
- Cash flow from operations was ($6.3) million in the first quarter of 2014, compared with $2.9 million a year ago.
- Medidata’s customer base grew to 420, with 32 new clients added in the first quarter of 2014, an increase of 88% over the number of new clients added in the first quarter of 2013. Customer growth was realized in all regions and across multiple products.
- 52% of customers had committed to multiple products at the end of the first quarter of 2014, up from 41% at the end of the first quarter of 2013.
- Medidata’s industry-leading CRO program continued to grow, with three new partners added, including a top 5 CRO. Several partners also began using a broader set of applications within the Medidata Clinical Cloud™, including Medidata’s trial management solution for their own work.
- Billings were $90 million in the first quarter of 2014, a 43% increase over the first quarter of 2013.
- Subscription backlog for the remainder of the year as of March 31, 2014 increased to $177 million, an increase of $21 million year over year. Subscription backlog does not include revenues associated with intra-year renewals. Including a minimum of $15 million of revenue associated with remaining intra-year renewals, subscription backlog would have increased to $192 million.
- Medidata's overall revenue retention rate was nearly 100%.