How Working Parents Can Really 'Have It All'
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Busy moms and dads are all too familiar with the concept of "having it all." Working parents face constant pressure to balance their time between the office and the soccer field, and it seems there's always something that falls through the cracks.
Since the day-to-day of parenting and working means walking a tightrope, what are the best ways to make it work? Our experts answer some of the most frequently asked questions on the practicalities of balancing kids and career.
How does schedule management work best day-to-day?
"You know what needs to be done and you allow space in your schedule for things not to go as planned," says Noelle Federico, business manager and CFO of Dreamstime.com.Busy moms and dads must teach themselves to respond to things instead of reacting to them, she says. "Being an officer of a company and a single mother, I don't have the luxury of having emotional breakdowns. I have to stay very focused and I have to execute results both with work and in my house," she explains. "I rarely think about how to get things done, I just keep doing what needs to be done." It comes down to prioritizing not on a daily basis, but on an hourly basis, says Neela Seenandan, managing partner at executive search firm Hanold Associates. "Every day there will be something at work that's important and something at home that's important. Decisions must be made constantly as to 'What can I miss, what can I not miss?'" Seenandan says. To avoid having a week filled with difficult split-second decisions, she recommends checking your calendar early in the month and making note of the most important things that cannot be missed. "If you have children and you have a job, there will literally be something every day that demands your time and attention. You just have to decide where it's most important for you to be involved on that day, at that time."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV