NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- My awards for the best upside surprises to the 2014 New York Auto Show are as follows:
Gold Medal: Kia Sedona minivan
When was the last time the best new car design was a minivan? Never. So this is a first. The Kia Sedona was the most beautiful new car introduced at the New York Auto Show, in my opinion. The lines and proportions are just perfect.
It is designed by Peter Schreyer, who was previously at Audi, and responsible for cars such as the iconic Audi TT. Therefore, it is little wonder that if Audi had made a minivan, this is what it would have looked like.The Kia Sedona minivan will compete with minivans from primarily Chrysler/Dodge, Honda (HMC) and Toyota (TM). It goes on sale this Fall, and the prices will be set closer to that date. The overall interior space is similar to the competition. There are two differences in the interior that sets the Kia Sedona apart: 1. Second row first-class seats. Move over, BMW 7 series, Mercedes S class, Audi A8, Cadillac Escalade, Rolls Royce and Bentley: There is a new limo king in town and his name is Kia Sedona. Yes, this otherwise family-friendly minivan can be equipped with a set of second-row first-class seats that would look right at home in a private jet. 2. Instrument panel. Unlike the competition, Kia Sedona does not have the "open air" feeling, where you can literally walk between the front seats. For example, the other minivans have their gear shifters located on the steering wheel or close thereby. Not so the Kia Sedona. The driver's seat feels like sitting in any large car. The gear selector is where it is on most cars, and you can't walk between the front seats. The controls are laid out in a horizontal theme and I find that it looks mostly like it does in a BMW 7 series, Audi A8, or to a lesser extent in some Mercedes models. The controls looked a lot easier to use than in any of those cars, however.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV