NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- On balance, it was a relatively quiet Monday on a week that promises some intrigue as several heavyweights release earnings later on.
Monday after the close, Netflix (NFLX) released their Q1 results to rousing applause, as investors sent shares up as much as 8% from the closing print at the time of this writing.
Traders liked the earning beat, but liked the prospect of higher prices for Netflix's streaming service even more.
About time $NFLX raised prices. -- Howard Chang (@oghowie) Apr. 21 at 02:30 PMBut it shouldn't be understated that many quick-trigger traders had their fingers on the sell button if Netflix offered any hints that metrics weren't trending favorably:
$NFLX Solid report. No surprises. Everything going as expected. -- Dominic Jones (@irwebreport) Apr. 21 at 02:13 PMThis is leading some to speculate that an "all-clear" signal may have sounded, which could send the thundering herd of analyst upgrades into action:
$NFLX should get about 10 upgrades overnight. -- TopstepTrader (@TopstepTrader) Apr. 21 at 02:11 PM
$NFLX beat & guided its next quarter's EPS est 12% above current consensus. 89 $SPX co's now on 1Q14 clock. Results & guidance looking good. -- Nick Raich (@TheEarningsScout) Apr. 21 at 02:37 PM
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV