Retirement Is Our Big Problem, But College Worries Us Even More
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- The United States likes to think of itself as a "can do" country," but Americans aren't living up to the legend when it comes to saving for retirement.
The latest example is a study from Capital One that sees significant "disparity between setting retirement goals and taking action."
According to the Sharebuilder Financial Freedom Survey, retirement savings are lagging even as workers increasingly are aware of what is at stake with their retirement savings, or lack of same.
"Unfortunately, saving for retirement is often put on the back burner for what seem like more pressing financial priorities, such as paying for college," says Dan Greenshields, president of Capital One ShareBuilder. "Now more than ever, Americans are responsible for ensuring their own financial security during retirement, and the earlier you begin to plan and save, the better."
- 93% of U.S. workers say they know they need to save for retirement, but just 72% are actually doing so.
- What keeps us up worrying night? College costs, even more than retirement savings.
- Data show that Americans should be saving 12.4% of their annual income on their retirement savings accounts, but the actual national average is 6.4%.
- 58% of working Americans want to retire at age 65, but the same percent say they'll "never save enough."
- Only 20% of Americans are saving more than 10% of their annual incomes for their retirements.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV