MoneyGram (NASDAQ:MGI), a leading global money transfer and payment services company, today announced the distribution of six grants through the MoneyGram Foundation. The foundation, launched in 2012, distributed 14 grants to programs in 10 countries in 2013.
Building on its inaugural year of grants in 2013, MoneyGram’s ongoing commitment to fund global education initiatives through the MoneyGram Foundation will continue in 2014 and expand its reach in part thanks to a new fundraising program. The foundation has begun outside fundraising from employees, agents and vendors, with MoneyGram matching all employee donations to the foundation 100%.
“I am excited that so many of our employees have chosen to support the MoneyGram Foundation through our new fundraising program and by recommending worthy organizations around the world for grants,” said Julia Taylor, president of the MoneyGram Foundation and vice president of corporate strategy at MoneyGram. “The foundation builds on MoneyGram’s long history of philanthropic giving. The enthusiasm from our employees for the foundation’s work reaffirms our passion for supporting transformational education programs in the communities where MoneyGram consumers live and work.”
The MoneyGram Foundation awarded grants to six organizations for its first round of grants in 2014 to fund the following programs:
- The operation of three Mobile Science Labs through the Agastya International Foundation. Each lab will travel to 30 schools in rural India and teach children using hands-on science models in physics, chemistry, biology and math. Each lab will impact over 7,000 children.
- A summer reading program for more than 100 children and after-school tutoring for at-risk children in Bentonville, Bella Vista and Rogers, Arkansas through the Boys & Girls Club of Benton County.
- The construction of a kindergarten in the rural Tay Giang district of Vietnam, where less than 47% of children enroll in kindergarten, through Children of Vietnam.
- Project Discovery, a yearlong afterschool program that brings together a diverse group of teens from underrepresented high schools across North Texas to provide theater arts education and access to professional theater productions at Dallas Theater Center, cultivating them as artists and critical thinkers.
- The research and creation of core files for the 2014-2015 debate season to be used by students in the Dallas, Boston and Minnesota Urban Debate Alliances to prepare for competition. The urban debate alliances serve at-risk students in urban high schools throughout the country. The materials will also be translated into Spanish and Somali language.
- Primary and secondary school scholarships and the construction of a new boarding house and computer lab for orphans living at the Maisha house in rural Kenya through the Gracias Foundation.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV