Cepheid (CPHD) Showing Signs Of Being Water-Logged And Getting Wetter
- CPHD has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $37.3 million.
- CPHD has traded 893,668 shares today.
- CPHD traded in a range 225.2% of the normal price range with a price range of $5.13.
- CPHD traded below its daily resistance level (quality: 103 days, meaning that the stock is crossing a resistance level set by the last 103 calendar days. The resistance price is defined by the Price - $0.01 at the time of the signal).
Stocks matching the 'Water-Logged and Getting Wetter' criteria are worthwhile stocks to watch for a variety of factors including historical back testing and volatility. Trade-Ideas targets these opportunities because the stock is exhibiting an unusual behavior while displaying negative price action. In this case, the stock crossed an important inflection point; namely, "support" while at the same time the range of the stock's movement in price is twice its normal size. This large range foreshadows a possible continuation as the stock moves lower. EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in CPHD with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for CPHD NOW at Trade-Ideas More details on CPHD: Cepheid, a molecular diagnostics company, develops, manufactures, and markets integrated systems for testing in the clinical and non-clinical markets; and for application in legacy non-clinical market. Currently there are 9 analysts that rate Cepheid a buy, 1 analyst rates it a sell, and 7 rate it a hold. The average volume for Cepheid has been 759,000 shares per day over the past 30 days. Cepheid has a market cap of $3.3 billion and is part of the technology sector and electronics industry. The stock has a beta of 0.20 and a short float of 19.1% with 11.86 days to cover. Shares are up 2.7% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Thursday. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. TheStreetRatings.com Analysis: TheStreet Quant Ratings rates Cepheid as a hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its robust revenue growth, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures and solid stock price performance. However, as a counter to these strengths, we find that the growth in the company's net income has been quite unimpressive. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- CPHD's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 15.4%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 22.5%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- CPHD's debt-to-equity ratio is very low at 0.01 and is currently below that of the industry average, implying that there has been very successful management of debt levels. Along with the favorable debt-to-equity ratio, the company maintains an adequate quick ratio of 1.33, which illustrates the ability to avoid short-term cash problems.
- CEPHEID INC has experienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, CEPHEID INC continued to lose money by earning -$0.27 versus -$0.30 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings (-$0.24 versus -$0.27).
- The return on equity has improved slightly when compared to the same quarter one year prior. This can be construed as a modest strength in the organization. Compared to other companies in the Biotechnology industry and the overall market, CEPHEID INC's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Biotechnology industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 282.8% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $5.64 million to -$10.32 million.
- You can view the full Cepheid Ratings Report.
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link reveal their investment tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
Jim Cramer's protégé, David Peltier, uncovers low dollar stocks with extraordinary upside potential that are flying under Wall Street's radar.
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
Jim Cramer's protégé, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
Every recommendation goes through 3 layers of intense scrutinyquantitative, fundamental and technical analysisto maximize profit potential and minimize risk.
Our options trading pros provide over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.