NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Gilead Sciences
(GILD) shares are up 0.7% to $70.51 in trading on Monday following its appearance on Citigroup's
(C) list of the top 50 "buy" rated stocks it covers.
Gilead Sciences estimated total investment return of 45.4% was the highest on the list.
Must Read: Warren Buffett's 10 Favorite Stocks
Citigroup believes that the Sovaldi drug manufacturer will generate significant amounts of revenue that it could use to fund share buybacks, acquire companies to grow its pipeline and in 2-3 years potentially begin giving a dividend.
"Gilead is positioned to be the dominant player in the lucrative hepC market with a backdrop of a leading HIV franchise and a growing oncology franchise," said the report.
Twenty of the stocks on the Citigroup list are reviewed at Business Insider.
- GILD's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 15.4%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 20.5%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displaying stagnant earnings per share.
- Compared to its closing price of one year ago, GILD's share price has jumped by 33.20%, exceeding the performance of the broader market during that same time frame. Regarding the stock's future course, although almost any stock can fall in a broad market decline, GILD should continue to move higher despite the fact that it has already enjoyed a very nice gain in the past year.
- The gross profit margin for GILEAD SCIENCES INC is currently very high, coming in at 75.91%. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of 25.36% is above that of the industry average.
- GILEAD SCIENCES INC reported flat earnings per share in the most recent quarter. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, GILEAD SCIENCES INC increased its bottom line by earning $1.83 versus $1.64 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($3.84 versus $1.83).
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: GILD Ratings Report
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV