Globalfoundries will license Samsung's 14-nanometer FinFET technology, the South Korean company's most advanced chipmaking technology. Globalfoundries will offer the technology to is customers at its plants in Texas, New York, and South Korea.
The move will challenge Taiwan Semiconductor, which currently controls about half of the chip-foundry business. "This offers a huge competitive threat to TSMC and provides an alternative to those companies who are looking to use leading-edge production," Tirias Research analyst Jim McGregor told Bloomberg. "It's a huge deal."
Must read: Warren Buffett's 10 Favorite Growth StocksSTOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. TheStreet Ratings team rates TAIWAN SEMICONDUCTOR MFG CO as a Buy with a ratings score of A+. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation: "We rate TAIWAN SEMICONDUCTOR MFG CO (TSM) a BUY. This is based on the convergence of positive investment measures, which should help this stock outperform the majority of stocks that we rate. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth and increase in stock price during the past year. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had sub par growth in net income." Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- TSM's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 1.5%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 2.7%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displaying stagnant earnings per share.
- TAIWAN SEMICONDUCTOR MFG CO reported flat earnings per share in the most recent quarter. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, TAIWAN SEMICONDUCTOR MFG CO increased its bottom line by earning $1.21 versus $1.10 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($1.42 versus $1.21).
- Compared to where it was a year ago today, the stock is now trading at a higher level, regardless of the company's weak earnings results. Turning our attention to the future direction of the stock, it goes without saying that even the best stocks can fall in an overall down market. However, in any other environment, this stock still has good upside potential despite the fact that it has already risen in the past year.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed against the S&P 500 and did not exceed that of the Semiconductors & Semiconductor Equipment industry. The net income has decreased by 0.5% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, dropping from $1,466.10 million to $1,458.32 million.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: TSM Ratings Report
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV