BETHESDA, Md., April 21, 2014 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- As part of its ongoing commitment to STEM education, Lockheed Martin [NYSE: LMT] is pleased to announce it will feature an interactive space exploration panel for student attendees at the upcoming USA Science & Engineering Festival.
Visitors to Lockheed Martin's stage will have two opportunities to learn about spectacular experiences in space, ask questions and receive autographs from three U.S. astronauts and NASA's Chief Science Officer Saturday, April 26.
- Rick Hieb : A veteran of three space flights, Hieb flew on STS-39 in 1991, STS-49 in 1992 and STS-65 in 1994. He has logged more than 750 hours in space, including more than 17 hours of space walk. Hieb was the payload commander for Space Shuttle Mission STS-65, which lasted from July 8 - July 23, 1994 and set a new flight duration record for the Space Shuttle program. Read more about Hieb's experience in space here.
- Tom Jones, PhD: Jones is a veteran astronaut with four shuttle flights: STS-59 and STS-68 in 1994, STS-80 in 1996 and STS-98 in 1998. He logged more than 52 days in space. During his 2001 space flight, Jones and his crew delivered the U.S. Destiny Laboratory Module to the Space Station, where he led three space walks to activate and outfit the Lab. Learn more about Jones here.
- Paul Richards: Richards flew aboard the space shuttle Discovery on STS-102 in 2001, the eighth shuttle mission to visit the International Space Station. During his mission, he logged more than 307 hours in space, including 6.4 spacewalk hours. Richards is currently a manager for the Geostationary Operational Environmental Satellites (GOES-R Series), which are the next generation of weather satellites being developed by NASA for NOAA. Find out more about Richards' time in space here.
- Ellen Stofan: As NASA Chief Science Officer, Stofan serves as principal advisor to NASA Administrator Charles Bolden on the agency's science programs and science-related strategic planning and investments. Before her appointment in 2013, she was vice president of Proxemy Research in Laytonsville, Md., and honorary professor in the department of earth sciences at the University College London in England. Stofan's research has focused on the geology of Venus, Mars, Saturn's moon Titan and Earth.
When: Saturday, April 26, 2014 at 2:00 p.m. and 4:00 p.m.Where: Lockheed Martin Stage 2014 USA Science & Engineering Festival Walter E. Washington Convention Center 801 Mt. Vernon Pl NW Washington, D.C. 20001 Lockheed Martin is the founding and presenting sponsor of the 2014 USA Science & Engineering Festival. In addition to the stage, Lockheed Martin engineers and technologists will showcase awe-inspiring technologies and interactive, hands-on exhibits in the areas of advanced aeronautics, data analytics, scientific discovery, nanotechnology, robotics and energy.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts