Last up is mid-cap transport and freight operator Ryder System (R). Ryder leases, rents, and services commercial trucks ranging from vans to tractor-trailers. As firms look to keep transport costs in check, Ryder offers an attractive solution: rather than own the equipment themselves, customers can lease trucks from Ryder and avoid maintenance issues, or use shorter-term rentals to immediately increase capacity without letting excess trucks sit idle in a parking lot.
Ryder has done a good job of growing both revenues and margins in the last several years. The firm has posted 24% sales growth since 2010 alone, the combined result of more green sprouts in the economy and a more effective sales pitch. Today, as firms remain cautious about parting with big cash outlays, a larger chunk of operations come from dedicated carriage contracts, which provided longer-term solutions to customers in exchange for much more stable, consistent revenues.
Ryder's business is capital intense, but the firm has managed to maintain a minimally leveraged balance sheet. Given the rising relative strength of the transports sector in the last several months, Ryder provides a good way to get exposure without nearly as much cyclical downside (or commodity exposure) as a typical transport name. This Rocket Stock reports earnings on April 23.To see all of this week's Rocket Stocks in action, check out the Rocket Stocks portfolio at Stockpickr. -- Written by Jonas Elmerraji in Baltimore.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV