Delta Air Lines
It's hard to argue with results -- and Delta Air Lines (DAL) has provided investors with some serious results in 2014. While the broad market has struggled to trade flat this year, DAL is up more than 23% since the calendar flipped to January. With momentum still looking strong, we're taking a closer look at this Rocket Stock this week.
Delta is one of the country's legacy airlines -- and one of the largest in the world -- with more than 720 aircraft serving nearly 250 mainline destinations around the world. By merging with Northwest in 2008, Delta grew its scale dramatically, saving substantial costs in the process. The last year has been a cyclical counterpoint to the notion that airlines are a bad investment. Delta's ability to rake in large profits in the face of stiff competition and triple-digit oil prices is a big coup for the $28 billion air carrier.
The fact remains that Delta is able to service more highly competitive routes than domestic rivals, and that should keep high-revenue frequent fliers in the firm's seats. Delta is also not shy about cutting loopholes in its SkyMiles program: the decision to tie elite qualifications to dollars spent on Delta flights should go a long way in aligning the airline's biggest benefits with its biggest benefactors. If you decide to be a buyer in Delta, keep an eye on earnings they're slated for Wednesday.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV