Updated from 6:46 a.m. EDT
Here are 10 things you should know for Tuesday, April 22:
1.-- U.S. stock futures were pointing to a weaker start on Tuesday ahead of earnings from a number of sector heavyweights and home-sales data.
European stocks rose. Asian shares ended the session mixed; Japan's Nikkei 225 fell 0.9%.
2.-- The economic calendar in the U.S. on Tuesday includes existing-home sales for March at 10 a.m. EDT.
3.-- U.S. stocks on Monday closed higher as investors awaited critical earnings reports this week.
The Dow Jones Industrial Average added 0.25% to finish at 16,449.25, the S&P 500 gained 0.38% to 1,871.89 and the Nasdaq climbed 0.64% to close at 4,121.55. The gains marked the S&P's fifth straight positive session.4. -- Valeant Pharmaceuticals (VRX) is teaming up with activist investor Bill Ackman in a bid for Allergan (AGN), the Botox maker, that could be worth about $40 billion.
The offer was confirmed Tuesday by Valeant. Ackman's Pershing Square Capital Management said it owns a 9.7% stake in Allergan worth $4.1 billion. Ackman's stake would make an Allergan deal worth around $40 billion. Valeant shares rose 11.3% in premarket trading to $140.30. Allergan rose 21.9% to $173.15.
5. -- Switzerland's Novartis (NVS) agreed to buy GlaxoSmithKline's (GSK) cancer-drug business for $14.5 billion, plus up to $1.5 billion more if certain milestones are met, and to divest most of its vaccines business to Glaxo for $7.1 billion, plus royalties. The two drugmakers also are creating a new consumer health care business through a joint venture.
Novartis also said it would sell off its animal health division to Eli Lilly (LLY) for about $5.4 billion.
Novartis shares were up 1% in premarket trading to $86.34; GlaxoSmithKline shares rose 4.4% to $55.48; Lilly shares fell 3.1% to $59.
6. -- Netflix (NFLX), the online entertainment company, posted mixed first-quarter results on Monday and said it topped 35 million streaming subscribers. The company also announced a price increase for new members.
Netflix earned 86 cents a share on revenue of $1.27 billion in the first quarter; analysts were expecting earnings of 83 cents a share on revenue of $1.27 billion.
Netflix said streaming margins hit 25.2% in the first quarter.
CEO Reed Hastings said there would be an increase for new members of $1 or $2, depending on the country.
Netflix shares rose 6.9% in premarket trading to $372.50.
7. -- Ford (F) will soon name Mark Fields its next CEO and reveal when current CEO Alan Mulally will retire from the company he is credited with saving, Bloomberg reported, citing two people familiar with the pending announcement. Mulally, 68, will step down before the end of the year and be succeeded by Fields, 53, now chief operating officer, according to the people. The automaker may announce the moves as soon as May 1, the people told Bloomberg.
Ford fell 0.1%. 8. -- Comcast (CMCSA) posted first-quarter adjusted earnings of 68 cents a share, ahead of forecasts of 64 cents. Revenue rose 14% to $17.41 billion.
The stock rose 0.7% to $50.22 in premarket trading. 9. -- AT&T (T) is expected by analysts to post earnings of 70 cents a share in the first quarter on revenue of $32.44 billion. 10. -- McDonald's (MCD) posedt first-quarter profit of $1.21 share, below estimates of $1.24 a share. -- Written by Joseph Woelfel
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV