Workers Catch On: They're on Their Own for Retirement
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- This isn't your father's pension plan -- or 401(k), for that matter.
That's what workers are hearing from their employers, and why they increasingly believe they are on their own when it comes to managing company-sponsored retirement plans.
Financial Finesse, a workplace financial wellness services firm in El Segundo, Calif., says it has seen a 166% increase in log-ins from workers looking for financial advice in the past four years and a 73% increase in return visitors.
The financial health of millions of Americans could rely on becoming more financially literate; 88 million rely on a defined-benefit retirement plan, according to the American Benefits Council, of which there are 638,390 active in U.S. companies today; 513,000 of those are 401(k)s.Financial risk is an important topic for workers, as 47% of plan participants surveyed said they have taken a risk tolerance test to assess their own ability to save and invest money, while 36% rebalanced their retirement plans last year -- a sure sign they're taking direct ownership of their retirement plans. "Society as a whole is beginning to put more emphasis on financial security and financial education," says Liz Davidson, chief executive at Financial Finesse. "We're seeing more and more providers of these types of services come into the marketplace, and the number of employers implementing workplace financial wellness programs is rising significantly." The fact that employees are demanding more of these programs is the result of a "financial awakening" on the part of workers, who are taking matters into their own hands with 401(k) plans, she adds.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV