(NYSE: CE), a global technology and specialty materials company, today announced at
polyphenylene sulfide (PPS) CES50 for consumer electronics device housings offers superior mechanical properties over traditional polymer solutions.
Showcased at Celanese booth
in the Chemicals & Raw Materials Zone of the Shanghai New International Expo Centre, the commercially available Fortron PPS grade is designed to help manufacturers produce thin-wall designed cell phone frames, tablet covers and radio jack connectors without material warpage.
“Using Celanese patent pending technology, material scientists developed a solution that meets the latest market demand for lighter, thinner and environmentally responsible consumer electronics applications,” said Kevin Liao, Celanese global consumer electronics marketing manager. “This 40-percent-glass-filled PPS is designed for consumer electronics manufacturers that need an engineered material with superior mechanical properties of less than 900 parts per million chlorine content.”
Fortron PPS CES50 can be molded in a cold-mold wall temperature range between 70 degrees Celsius to 90 degrees Celsius (158 degrees Fahrenheit to 194 degrees Fahrenheit) unlike standard grades which require higher mold temperatures.
Property profiles of Fortron PPS CES50:
About Fortron PPS
- High Tensile Modulus: reaches more than 13900 megapascals (MPa) for improved thin-wall design processing.
- Excellent Dimensional Stability: meets high-precision design and assembly requirements.
- Halogen Free: complies with hazardous substance restrictions and waste directives such as the Restriction of Hazardous Substances Directive (RoHS) and the Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment Directive (WEEE).
- Low Moisture Absorption: provides excellent post dimension change because of moisture absorption.
- Flame Retardant: UL 94 V-0 listed at 0.2 millimeters
Fortron PPS is a high-performance polymer that can withstand high thermal, chemical and mechanical stress and is used in a wide variety of applications. Fortron PPS is inherently flame retardant and does not require the use of halogen-containing flame retardants to achieve UL94 V0 rating. The Fortron CES50 low chlorine PPS grade complies with International Electrotechnical Commission standards for “halogen-free” materials and maintains all desired properties of standard PPS, including:
Celanese Corporation is a global technology leader in the production of differentiated chemistry solutions and specialty materials used in most major industries and consumer applications. With sales almost equally divided between North America, Europe and Asia, the company uses the full breadth of its global chemistry, technology and business expertise to create value for customers and the corporation. Celanese partners with customers to solve their most critical needs while making a positive impact on its communities and the world. Based in Dallas, Texas, Celanese employs approximately 7,400 employees worldwide and had 2013 net sales of $6.5 billion. For more information about Celanese Corporation and its product offerings, visit
or our blog at
All trademarks indicated above are owned by Celanese International Corporation or its affiliates. Fortron
is a registered trademark of Fortron Industries LLC.
- continuous service temperature up to 240 degrees Celsius (464 degrees Fahrenheit);
- good dimensional stability;
- inherent flame resistance;
- excellent resistance to automotive/aircraft fuels and fluids, strong acids and bases (pH 2 to 12);
- high hardness and stiffness;
- extremely low creep behavior;
- low coefficient of linear thermal expansion (CLTE), comparable to aluminum;
- low water absorption;
- ease of processing.