Celanese Corporation (NYSE: CE), a global technology and specialty materials company, today announced at Chinaplas® 2014 that halogen-free Fortron ® polyphenylene sulfide (PPS) CES50 for consumer electronics device housings offers superior mechanical properties over traditional polymer solutions.
Showcased at Celanese booth N2B01 in the Chemicals & Raw Materials Zone of the Shanghai New International Expo Centre, the commercially available Fortron PPS grade is designed to help manufacturers produce thin-wall designed cell phone frames, tablet covers and radio jack connectors without material warpage.
“Using Celanese patent pending technology, material scientists developed a solution that meets the latest market demand for lighter, thinner and environmentally responsible consumer electronics applications,” said Kevin Liao, Celanese global consumer electronics marketing manager. “This 40-percent-glass-filled PPS is designed for consumer electronics manufacturers that need an engineered material with superior mechanical properties of less than 900 parts per million chlorine content.”
Fortron PPS CES50 can be molded in a cold-mold wall temperature range between 70 degrees Celsius to 90 degrees Celsius (158 degrees Fahrenheit to 194 degrees Fahrenheit) unlike standard grades which require higher mold temperatures.Property profiles of Fortron PPS CES50:
- High Tensile Modulus: reaches more than 13900 megapascals (MPa) for improved thin-wall design processing.
- Excellent Dimensional Stability: meets high-precision design and assembly requirements.
- Halogen Free: complies with hazardous substance restrictions and waste directives such as the Restriction of Hazardous Substances Directive (RoHS) and the Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment Directive (WEEE).
- Low Moisture Absorption: provides excellent post dimension change because of moisture absorption.
- Flame Retardant: UL 94 V-0 listed at 0.2 millimeters
- continuous service temperature up to 240 degrees Celsius (464 degrees Fahrenheit);
- good dimensional stability;
- inherent flame resistance;
- excellent resistance to automotive/aircraft fuels and fluids, strong acids and bases (pH 2 to 12);
- high hardness and stiffness;
- extremely low creep behavior;
- low coefficient of linear thermal expansion (CLTE), comparable to aluminum;
- low water absorption;
- ease of processing.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts