NEW YORK (TheStreet) Amazon's (AMZN) Fire TV was revolutionary in that it was the first set-top box streaming device to include voice search when looking for content, among other features. Now, its revolutionary voice search is about to get a whole lot better.
Amazon today announced that Hulu Plus, Crackle, and SHOWTIME ANYTIME are joining VEVO in integrating their full catalogs into Fire TV's unified voice search.
"We're excited and energized by the momentum we're seeing with Fire TV," said Dave Limp, Vice President, Amazon Devices in a press release. "Customers are telling us they love it, developers are building for it, and we're working hard to expand existing features and build new ones. We're thrilled to have Hulu Plus, Crackle, and SHOWTIME integrating their full selection of movies and TV shows into Fire TV's unified voice search."
Seattle-based Amazon noted that the above content will start to integrate voice search for their content starting this summer. Right now, voice search, which allows users to search for content via title, actor or genre, only works for Amazon Prime Instant Video, but Amazon is working hard to add more in the coming months.
The company also announced that it's working with a slew of developers on adding services and games available for Fire TV, including Telltale Games, Halfbrick, Pixowl, Disney Interactive, Minority Media, Paradox Interactive, Gaiam, AllRecipes, and Twitch.
Amazon also said that it would be adding new features to the $99 set-top box, which TheStreet described as "the real deal." In a separate review, TheStreet said "Amazon's Fire TV is the streaming video device for the others to beat."
Larsen noted that consumers' most frequent complaints about streaming devices include difficulty in searching for shows, performance and buffering, and closed ecosystems. --Written by Chris Ciaccia in New York >Contact by Email. Follow @Chris_Ciaccia
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV