The company reported a 120% year-over-year increase in net income to $11.4 million, or 22 cents per diluted share, from net income of $5.8 million, or 10 cents per diluted share. Core net income totaled $12.4 million, or 24 cents per diluted share, a 33% year-over-year increase from $9.9 million, or 18 cents per diluted share.
"Our earnings, expenses, yields, and margin were all in line with our expectations and our previous guidance," said Chairman and CEO Gene Taylor in a statement. "While we have yet to see the benefits of the strengthening southeastern economy, we don't see any obstacles to executing on our business plans through the balance of 2014."
The stock closed up 1.03% to $24.45 on Thursday. More than 126,000 shares changed hands, which barely edged the average volume of 125,682.Must Read: Warren Buffett's 10 Favorite Growth Stocks STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. ---------- Separately, TheStreet Ratings team rates CAPITAL BANK FINANCIAL CORP as a "hold" with a ratings score of C. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation: "We rate CAPITAL BANK FINANCIAL CORP (CBF) a HOLD. The primary factors that have impacted our rating are mixed - some indicating strength, some showing weaknesses, with little evidence to justify the expectation of either a positive or negative performance for this stock relative to most other stocks. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its increase in net income, expanding profit margins and good cash flow from operations. However, as a counter to these strengths, we find that the company's return on equity has been disappointing." Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Commercial Banks industry. The net income increased by 128.9% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $5.33 million to $12.21 million.
- The gross profit margin for CAPITAL BANK FINANCIAL CORP is currently very high, coming in at 88.70%. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of 14.48% is above that of the industry average.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly increased by 92.99% to -$2.59 million when compared to the same quarter last year. Despite an increase in cash flow of 92.99%, CAPITAL BANK FINANCIAL CORP is still growing at a significantly lower rate than the industry average of 385.82%.
- Regardless of the drop in revenue, the company managed to outperform against the industry average of 12.1%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly dropped by 7.9%. The declining revenue has not hurt the company's bottom line, with increasing earnings per share.
- The company's current return on equity has slightly decreased from the same quarter one year prior. This implies a minor weakness in the organization. Compared to other companies in the Commercial Banks industry and the overall market on the basis of return on equity, CAPITAL BANK FINANCIAL CORP underperformed against that of the industry average and is significantly less than that of the S&P 500.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: CBF Ratings Report
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV