iCAD, Inc. (Nasdaq: ICAD), a leading provider of advanced imaging and radiation therapy for the early identification and treatment of cancer, today announced that more than 4,000 non-melanoma skin cancer (NMSC) patients have been treated using the Xoft® Axxent® Electronic Brachytherapy System® demonstrating continued growth and utilization of the system among radiation oncologists and dermatologists. In addition, a growing body of clinical evidence provides ongoing support for the use of the Xoft System for this skin cancer application. The Xoft System offers an alternative, pain-free treatment option for patients who may not be candidates for surgery or who are concerned with cosmetic outcomes associated with surgery. The Xoft System is the only electronic brachytherapy (eBx ®) system with peer-reviewed published data in support of this application.
“These latest milestones demonstrate the growing clinical support for the Xoft System as an attractive, non-surgical alternative to treat non-melanoma skin cancer,” said Ken Ferry, President and CEO of iCAD. “Through strategic partnerships and a growing customer base, the Xoft System is now available to an expanded patient population at both radiation oncology and dermatology centers across the country. The increased adoption of the Xoft System by leading clinicians combined with positive clinical data supports the continued growth and more widespread adoption of electronic brachytherapy.”
Recently, significant clinical data has been presented at prestigious medical conferences highlighting the demonstrated success of eBx in the clinical treatment of NMSC. These include:
- 72nd American Academy of Dermatology (AAD) Annual Meeting (March 2013-Denver) Positive three-year follow up data were presented by Ajay Bhatnagar, MD, MBA, Cancer Treatment Services Arizona, Affiliate of 21 st Century Oncology, Adjunct Assistant Professor of Radiation Oncology, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine and DermEbx. Dr. Bhatnagar presented clinical outcomes data on 187 patients with 275 NMSC lesions treated using eight fractions with the Xoft System, showing excellent cosmesis, low toxicity, and no recurrences at three years post-treatment.
- American Brachytherapy Society (ABS) Annual Meeting (April 2013-San Diego) Clinical outcomes data were presented by Stephen Doggett, MD, a board certified radiation oncologist with Aegis Oncology. Dr. Doggett’s study included 561 lesions in 364 patients treated with the Xoft System and showed that NMSC treatable lesions normally treated with standard fractionation teletherapy, Mohs or excision can be treated with eight fractions of eBx with comparable cure and complication rates and excellent cosmetic results 19 months following treatment of the first patient.
- Also at ABS, poster presentations by Sujatha Pai, MD, MS, DABMP, Director, Division of Medical Physics at Radion, Inc. and Rakesh Patel, MD, Director, The Targeted Radiation Institute of VMOC in Pleasanton, Calif., provided a comparative dosimetry analysis including the Xoft System for skin applications and the Air Kerma strength and output of the Xoft Axxent source as related to the development of a robust Quality Assurance program.
“Electronic brachytherapy is an excellent alternative for patients with non-melanoma skin cancer seeking a more convenient, non-invasive treatment option,” said Dr. Stephen Doggett. “Integrating the Xoft System allows a dermatology or radiation oncology practice to expand treatment access to those patients who may not be candidates for surgery or who are concerned with cosmetic outcomes associated with surgery with minimal disruption to existing patient flow.”
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV