Boy, here's a wild one. Archer Daniels Midland (ADM), the grain processor that hasn't done anything in years. It seems to have finally figured out how to make a lot of money off the U.S. industrial agricultural machine.
Then there's Alcoa. You know that I have championed this one for ages, and this last quarter, despite how it was characterized by the media, was indeed the breakout on the top and bottom lines. The tough actions have been taken, the expensive plants closed, and the value-added portion of the business is doing incredibly well, led by aerospace, trucking and autos, the latter all about light-weighting, something CEO Klaus Kleinfeld told you about when the stock was in the single digits not that long ago. I see this one going to $18 over time.
Best for last: Remember that article a couple of weeks ago that talked about how Warren Buffett's stock-picking has become subpar? Funny thing, but there's Berkshire Hathaway (BRK.B) standing tall on the list, and while that may not necessarily relate to his portfolio, it doesn't hurt that he has huge positions in Wells Fargo and Coca-Cola , two stars of the reporting period. I think he will be patient on IBM (IBM), as he has been for others, and you need to buy it ahead of the new product introductions.Think about it: no financials and no real tech. Just yielders and oil and gas and a smattering of special situations. No wonder this market's so tough. I don't see a favorite among them. In fact, it is a list that's been scorned, not loved. Love can't buy you money, that's for certain at least when it comes to stocks. At the time of publication, Action Alerts PLUS, which Cramer co-manages as a charitable trust, was long CELG, JNJ, JPM and PG.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV